I made some patties out of cauliflower the other day and they were really good. It was a bit of an experiment but it turned out awesome. Don't you love it when that happens? I'll definitely be making them again. We've been eating cauliflower a little more lately. We never used to because Aaron doesn't really like it, so I would never think to buy it. But I tried making cauliflower bites a while back and he liked them! So we've been eating cauliflower a little more regularly now. Mostly the bites as a snack, but I'm going to try making more things with it (like pizza crust and alfredo sauce) and these cakes were a good start.
1 head of cauliflower
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of cornstarch
2 tbsp pancake mix
chia/flax/sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut up into small pieces. Boil some water in a pot and cook the cauliflower pieces until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- I used a food processor and chopped my onion and garlic. I left them in the food processor, removed the chopping blade and put on the shredding blade now for the carrot. Shred the carrot. Leave in the food processor for now.
- Once the cauliflower is done, drain the water and put it into a large bowl. Use a potato masher and mash up the cauliflower.
- Add the onion, garlic and shredded carrots into the mashed cauliflower.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl. I used the little bit of cornstarch and pancake mix to help bind them together.
- You don't have to use chia/flax/sesame seeds, we just put them in most things, but they're totally not necessary. I never measure my spices, but my guess would be a tsp or less or each. I just sprinkle a bit of each into the bowl.
- Mix well and then press into patties. It may seem like they aren't sticking that well, but they will stay together. You can always add a little more pancake mix if you want to help bind, but don't put too much as it may take away from the cauliflowerness of the cakes and be more pancakey. Mine felt like they wouldn't stay together but once cooked, they did.
- Grease a baking sheet and line up your cakes. Bake for about 20 mins, flipping half way through.
Eat these with your favorite sauce. We topped them with a little parmesan cheese and some plain greek yogurt. Delicious!