I saw something in a magazine a while back about making your own tortilla bowls and it made me want to try it myself. I don't think I've ever made taco salad. I've definitely eaten (and loved) it though. So, when I saw this homemade tortilla bowl thing I immediately knew I had to try and make my own and damn, it was good. Now it's your turn, here we go!
1 package of Yves Veggie Ground Round *
large soft tortilla shells (however many bowls you want to make, that is how many you will need)
Franks hot sauce (if you're into some heat)
1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
mixing bowls (you'll see below)
Your choice of toppings, I used:
shredded sharp cheddar cheese
* For the Yves, I used Original because they did not have any other kind but I know they make a Mexican variety (the package looks exactly the same, see insert in below image) and I would definitely get that one for this recipe if it's available! If you end up getting the Mexican kind, you can probably skip the part of this recipe where you season the Yves.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan heat up some oil on medium heat. Throw in the Yves and break up the block it will likely be in.
- I threw in some seasonings here (remember, if you end up getting the Mexican kind, you can skip this): some taco seasoning, some Frank's and I even threw in some green peppers + banana peppers.
- Cook this on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- While the Yves is cooking, chop up your toppings (lettuce, tomato, etc).
How to make the bowls:
- Get a small mixing bowl and place on baking sheet.
- Lightly wipe some olive oil on the outside of the tortilla shell. Also, spray lightly with cooking spray (you may not need to do both, but I've never made these before and I did both and it worked well)
- Drape the tortilla over the small mixing bowl.
- Now grab another mixing bowl, about 1 size up from the one the tortilla is currently draped over and place on top of the tortilla to hold the shape of the bowl down.
- Place in oven for 5 minutes. Take out and then remove the top bowl.
- Place in oven for another 3-5 minutes (ovens vary).
- Pull out of the oven, remove from mixing bowl and place somewhere to cool.
- Repeat for as many bowls as needed (unless you have enough bowls, I did not).
Here is an idea of how it went:
Another method: Another thing you can do is use foil. I didn't have any left in the house so decided to try this mixing bowl method, but if you wanted to make a few bowls at once, the foil option would be better. If you want to use foil, all you have to do it make some balls out of foil. Probably around the size of a baseball or so I would imagine, but you're basically just making something for the tortilla to drape over and take the shape of.
While your tortillas are transforming into awesome bowls, you can make your salad mix. I'd suggest getting a huge bowl and throwing in all the toppings. Just make a huge mix of everything + the sour cream as a dressing. Mix it well and then once the bowls are finished and cooled, you can fill the bowls with the awesome salad.
Top it off with some shredded cheese, maybe some more sour cream and oh my gaaaaa, so good. I could really go for one of these right now.
Enjoy! This is going to be a regular over here, that's for sure. :)